Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Taking Time For Food

Last night I found myself at the grocery store at 9 o'clock at night after a long work day buying bananas, apples, pineapple and chicken.

I think what has surprised me most about this weight loss journey is that I have to spend so much extra time on food. I look at food like exercise now. I have to carve out at least 60 minutes in my day for exercise. But I also need to carve out 30 minutes a day for food.

I have learned that if I keep healthy foods on hand and in abundance, I will be much less likely to stop for a candy bar or chips in the day. That is why I was at the store last night. I knew if I woke up and didn't have any bananas on hand, I would desire a candy bar.

It takes a good 15-20 minutes to prepare my food for a long work day. I have to make my smoothie in the morning and freeze it so if can withstand being in my car in 90 degree weather. I have to freeze a water bottle for the same reason (I talk so much for my job I have learned if I don't ALWAYS have water available, I will find myself eating sugar).

I also have to prepare snacks throughout the day, enough that I may not eat them all but I have enough so I don't stop somewhere else for a snack that will be a lot less healthy. Usually these snacks involve some sort of fruit (apple, banana, etc) and protein (usually peanut butter).

But either way, what I have noticed is that on the front end it takes a lot more time to prepare these foods. However, on the back end if I prepare these foods I eat a lot healthier, thus have a lot more energy throughout the day. I think that eventually leads to either more time or at least a better use of that time.


No comments:

Post a Comment