Thursday, May 9, 2013

Food Changes I Never Thought I'd Make

As I sit here contemplating doing the Whole 30, a part of me (the immature, whiny child side of me) is like "But that means I can't eat...(fill in the blank..or the sugar product)"

But when I think about it, there are some serious changes that I have already made in my diet that I never thought I would make. In fact, if you would have told me four years ago about some of these changes, I would have told you that you were crazy. Then again, two years ago if you would have told me about more of these changes, I would have said I would never be successful. And yet, many of these changes have been made.

1. Gluten, I always knew this would be the first thing I would have to give up and gave this up long before I started being serious about weight loss or help for my eating disorder. Either way though, at one point in my life I would have told you it would be IMPOSSIBLE for me to live without Valentino's sugar twist breadsticks.

2. Milk, I gave this up probably about a year and a half ago just out of necessity. This was actually one of the easiest switches I made over to Soy and then eventually Coconut milk.

3. Ice Cream, I'm not actually even sure when this happened. Just at some point I realized I don't eat ice cream anymore. This is one of those items that I think I eventually just got sick of how I felt after I ate it so I didn't eat anymore.

4. Yogurt-again, I don't even remember when I consciously gave this up. This used to be a daily, sometimes two times a day staple in my diet. I am kind of craving it right now actually. But honestly, this is another one of those food items that just isn't worth it.

5. Cheese-this is newer (like a month ago newer). Actually, going a month without my gluten free pizza feels a lot less strange than I thought I would. Two weeks ago after coming home from being out of town I saw a frozen gluten free pizza at Trader Joes, almost bought it, then remembered how incredibly crappy cheese makes me feel. Weird.

6. Coffee Creamer- I drink my coffee with coconut milk or completely black now. It doesn't even faze me, which is completely bizarre. 

So as I sit here eating spinach leaves out of the bag like they are potato chips (yes, I really am doing that right now)..I wonder.."Who is this person?" and think..I might be ready to experience something as amazing as the Whole 30 after all.

I'll keep you posted:)
http://whole9life.com/category/whole-30/

1 comment:

  1. My whole family is eating like that now. It was a HUGE step for us. It meant a lot more cooking for me, which means a lot more work over all. No more short cuts, and no more quick meals (well, quick like mcdonalds quick). BUT, it's worth it. Not that I am perfect at it, AT ALL, but when we eat this way, we feel SO MUCH better, and in the end it is worth all the work and time. :) Sounds like you have made a lot of choices along the line of the Whole30 (which I had never heard of until I just read your post). I bet it will be just another step for you! :) Whether you do it or not, you sound like you are eating very healthy.

    ReplyDelete