Wednesday, March 6, 2013

A Delicate Balance

Today, I went out for my normal 8 mile run. I do a 7 or 8 mile run early in the week (either Tuesday or Wednesday) every week so it really felt like a run of the mill day. The difference is that I have been super strict about my diet this week, eating about 1600 calories a day. Then I have been doing an extra 1-2 hours of a workout at the gym at night due to dealing with a lot of anxiety this week.

However, today I believe it all caught up with me. I made it about halfway through the first mile of my run and my body just shut down. This is the first time this has happened to me in which my body actually shut down. Sometimes I'm not in it mentally but I can still move forward. This time my body literally could not run another foot. So I made myself walk the rest of the first mile and then walk the mile back to my car.

I saw the writing on the wall. I am exhausted, working out too much and not fueling enough for it.

The interesting thing about training for a marathon while still trying to lose weight is that you have to find such a happy balance for your food. I have to eat enough that I can run strong, but I still have to create a deficit between food and exercise where I continue to lose. It's definitely a process. But I think I am going to nix the end of the day cardio. This hopefully will help. I just need to find another way to deal with my anxiety. Any ideas? Yoga perhaps?

No comments:

Post a Comment