Tuesday, April 16, 2013

A Lesson in Thankfulness

Today, I had a bit of an adventure. My original day was scheduled as such: morning small run, plans with a friend, a couple of counseling clients.

This is what my day turned out to be. My car breaking down, having to be towed, deciding to walk home from my mechanic (it was 7.43 miles), getting a call from my mechanic that the car is dead in the water, then playing softball tonight.

During my walk home from the mechanic, I found the first three miles exciting... going through busy streets...seeing Omaha from a whole different perspective, but then the next three miles I started to get irritated. I didn't know how far it was to my house from the mechanic and it was frustrating that I was in a situation where I needed to walk home.

Then all of a sudden it hit me, what 144 people from the Boston Marathon yesterday wouldn't give to switch places with me right now.

Some people lost their limbs, some people lost their lives, and I'm whining because I have to walk home from the mechanic, because my car is dead?

And then I began to realize how we take for granted the simplest things. Today, I took for granted the fact that I have two working legs that could get me from A to B. Some people don't have that anymore.

I began to thank God for all the things in my life during the rest of the walk home. I was thankful for my legs and for a body that is fit and healthy enough to walk through the city. I was thankful for warm weather and no snow to have to walk in.

I was thankful that I wasn't stuck in rural Iowa (where I see a lot of counseling clients) when my car broke down, I'm thankful that AAA exists (they are my bestie), I'm thankful that when I felt like a total failure at life today, I have a mother who told me I was believing lies about myself and that the truth is that I have been working very hard at my goals.

There are so many other things on the list as well, and when I thought about all the things in my life that I truly had to be thankful for in this moment, I realized that the car situation is a minor problem that will eventually be handled and God knows what he is doing after all.








No comments:

Post a Comment