Monday, July 1, 2013

Reexamining everything

I have been dealing with a little bit of an injury that today became a bigger injury. On Thursday I felt like I pulled a small muscle in my calf. It hurt a little but only when I ran. I continued to run and do my mileage as planned. On Saturday I did  9 miles but had to walk a little because of the injury. No big deal. I felt like taking Sunday off would give it plenty of time to heal.

This morning I was sprinting around the track and felt something pop in my calf. It almost knocked me to the ground. Then I spent the rest of the day in pain and limping. Walking upstairs is excruciating.

Unfortunately, immediately after this happened I had to go home and get ready for a 12 hour work day. For me a 12 hour work day means spending a lot of time in my car when I'm not with clients. This enables me to have a lot of time to think.

One of my biggest fears of this whole weight loss process has been having an injury that made it difficult for me to continue exercising. Now in all fairness I don't think (hope) that this injury will hinder me or my marathon training for too long. But nevertheless it caused me to think about something.

Could I continue this weight loss journey without exercise right now? Is my food healthy enough to get to my goal weight without exercise?

Nope.

It's time I reevaluate what I am doing. The reality is that I love certain kinds of food (sugar) and I love that I have been able to eat plenty of what I want and still lose weight because I workout so much. This has caused me to shift my thinking quite a bit.

Not only do I need to be thinking "eating clean is probably healthy, I should do that." I actually need to make steps to clean up my diet a lot so that I don't NEED to exercise to feel healthy. Because there are some days my eating is sooo crappy that the only reason I feel healthy if because I ran 5 miles that morning. Hopefully eating clean will  make me a better exerciser as well.

All in all, I am sure this injury is a blessing in disguise to make me take a good hard look at my eating. Unless of course I don't get to run the marathon..and then I will just cry.


No comments:

Post a Comment