Thursday, June 13, 2013

How Funny Is the Scale?

I was just reading someone else's blog and they were talking about losing 3 lbs. They were talking about how amazing they felt because they lost 3 lbs. I don't want to take anything away from this person for losing 3 lbs, kudos to them for losing the weight.

But it just made me wonder, why do we let 3 lbs define our identity?

For instance, I just ate a bowl of coconut milk ice cream at 9 o'clock at night. After spending two years of watching my body like a hawk, I can tell you that my body would most likely gain three lbs on the scale from this delicious ice cream.

That being said, there are some things that I know rationally such as...

I know I didn't actually gain 3 lbs. That would involve me having to have eating 10,500 calories over my regular calorie burn (2150) + what I burned in exercise today (510). Effectively in order to have actually gained 3 lbs, I would have had to eat 13,160 calories..also known as one elephant, two giraffes and a piccolo player. 

That being said, had I been married to the scale like I used to be, seeing that 3 lb gain tomorrow would ruin my whole day, make me feel like a failure and ultimately result in a binge. 

How ridiculous? 

Now I do think the scale is an excellent tool to use when you are trying to lose massive amounts of weight. You have to tweak your eating all through this process and it's good to see what works and what doesn't. I am currently in another "eating tweak" right now. This actually usually involves a period of time where I fluctuate at the same weight (within about a 5lb range) until I figure out the next push forward I need to do. 

On top of that I have added weight training so I have put on a couple of lbs. But my body has never felt better or stronger and in reality, it has actually never been smaller (smallest size since I was about 14 years old). 

Why do we care soooo much what that stupid scale says? 

If I was trying to "make weight" tomorrow, I wouldn't have eaten that coconut ice cream tonight. In fact, I would have eaten a super light dinner and probably been really cranky. My calories are fine. For long-term weight loss, I am doing everything right. I am counting calories, I am weight training, and I am running but when I live by the scale I am not enjoying my life.

It's time to stop the madness.

-Stop letting three pounds define you.
-Start enjoying the food you get to consume rather than trying to fit your food in a box that works for everyone else. 
-Workout because you love it or because it makes you feel good rather than because you have to see a number on the scale.
-Be present in life, look around, meet new people...stop trying so hard
-The healthier you are, the less weight will stick around, this includes mentally healthy as well.

Lets try to take my advice together:)

Cassie

1 comment:

  1. So beautiful. So amazing. Our worth cannot be defined by an number. Love this post.

    ReplyDelete