Thursday, February 14, 2013

Why Dave Ramsey's Plan Sucks

Currently, I am doing Financial Peace University by Dave Ramsey. That means I am changing my spending behaviors, getting an emergency fund together and going to start paying down debt.

It also means I can't buy what I want when I want to.

This is why it sucks.

Normally, when I start a new hobby (running) I buy everything that goes with that hobby and get very excited about it.

But when doing Dave Ramsey's plan I have to settle for my free mileage app on my cell phone and carry a bottle of water and a protein bar rather than put them in a fuel belt.

Getting debt paid off is a lot like weight loss, you have to say "no" now for a better result later.

So I decided to put my running "wish list" on my blog in hopes to get it out of my system. This is the stuff I will be buying in two years when my student loans are completely paid off.

1st item

This Garmin looks amazing! And since it's a wrist watch, I don't have to worry about where to put it. But I have a free app on my phone that I wear on an arm cuff. Sometimes it turns off in the middle of a long run. But thankfully, I know my route by mileage pretty well now. Dave would be proud!

2nd item

On a long run such as 8 miles or more, I really feel like I need to drink water. I used to put my route together so I would go past the drinking fountains, but they don't turn on again until March. Thankfully, my friend has one of these fuel belts and usually lets me borrow it for a long run. This is definitely a "want" rather than a need.

3rd Item

I have heard incredible things about Under Armour Sports Wear. And if I had my way, I would buy most of the clothes. But alas, Walmart running clothes really do work just fine.

4th Item

Now this is just crazy talk. See, I did just purchase a good pair of running shoes about a month ago. But I figured since I was making a wish list anyway, I would just go ahead and put a second pair of running shoes on there. Sometimes it's nice to have two.

Ok, wish list out of my system. Onward to the baby steps...

"Live like no one else so that later you can live like no else," -Dave Ramsey


No comments:

Post a Comment