Thursday, September 5, 2013

Whole 30-Day 1 Complete

Wow,

I just saw that the last post I wrote was introducing dairy back into my life. Unfortunately, that was a super short experiment. Right after I introduced dairy back into my life, my chest started getting tight when I would lay down at night and I couldn't breathe. By yesterday (Wednesday) I had not slept more than an hour and a half for almost a week because I just couldn't breathe.

Yesterday, my chest was so tight and I couldn't breathe for so long that I was having headaches. I stayed home from work because I honestly felt like I was on death's door. During this time I started researching doing the Whole 30 plan and a lightbulb hit me. When was the last time I was researching the Whole 30? Oh yah, it was right before I went off dairy the first time.

I was having the same symptoms, inability to breathe after lying down, chest feeling tight, headaches..not fun.

I probably should put a disclaimer that if you are feeling these things, you should go to the doctor immediately.. but I'm stubborn, and my insurance sucks..so I started researching dietary changes instead.

Yesterday, I immediately gave up dairy once the lightbulb hit and incidentally, was able to sleep through the night again.

After spending the day researching the Whole 30 again, I decided to take the plunge. I thought this was an interesting jump for me because this is the first time I have decided to make an extreme dietary change in my life and it had absolutely nothing to do with weight loss.

It has everything to do with health and focus and living the best life that I can possibly live. The Whole 30 isn't a weird crash diet or anything. It really just focuses on putting clean, whole foods into your body and changing some of your body's unhealthy signals (horrible sugar cravings anyone?).

I am hoping by the end of my Whole 30, my breathing problems will be completely gone.

Since I also had another impromptu day off of work, I spent the day at the bookstore reading It Starts With Food which explains the "why" of certain elements of the Whole 30. I found it extremely interesting.

Today was actually pretty easy, a couple of cravings for hot tamales in there..but for the most part, it was easy to stick with it. However, this is the Whole 30 timeline they give you for the first week, so the fact that "So What's the Big Deal" falls on today means I am right on schedule. My "Kill All The Things" days will fall on Sunday and Monday, just as a warning for anyone who comes in contact with me:)






Here are some of the meals I had this morning. I really had to get past my breakfast mentality because I am a gluten free waffles and peanut butter girl almost every morning. So this breakfast was different.
 It is ground beef stir fried with bell peppers, onions and mushrooms in a little olive oil with a side of a cooked apple with cinnamon on it. Who knew an apple with just a little bit of cinnamon could taste like dessert?

Here was lunch. It was a spinach salad with blueberries, ginger chicken (chicken with cut up ginger and onions), avocado, and the juice of a half of a lime. I am not really a salad person, but I had some leftover spinach from my smoothies so thought I would give it a try.

For dinner I just had a grass-fed beef patty with a side of bell peppers and onions with a little olive oil.

I also had some raw macadamia nuts and dates for a post-workout snack. They were delicious. All in all, this first day I feel better than I have in a LONG time. We'll see how tomorrow goes:)

No comments:

Post a Comment