Friday, January 17, 2014

Adventure Day

Today, I decided to do 5 miles at Elmwood Park by my house. It is still pretty cold out but warm enough to get a nice outdoor workout in. As of recently I have made some drastic changes in my life including getting a new job. This morning, I felt like a giant weight had been lifted of my shoulder and I felt happier than I have felt in a long time.

Because of this, I wasn't really in the mood for a normal workout. As it turns out, I also forgot to charge my Garmin. It turned off at about 2.2 miles. At that point, I thought it might fun to start exploring the park. As I looked next to the sidewalk that I run on, I saw what looked like a little trail going into a wooded area. I decided to take the trail down to this cement log looking structure that I decided I wanted to walk across. After that, I saw an actual log over water that was a little more narrow. "Should I try it?" I thought. I suppose the worst that could have happened would have been falling and getting really wet (the water wasn't deep).

So I started to walk over this log and my legs were shaking. I went back to the beginning. Then I tried again but my legs kept shaking. I finally decided I was just going to do it and I crossed the log. Upon crossing the log, I realized there wasn't really a good way back out of the woods except using branches to hike myself up or going back across the logs. So I decided to use branches to hike myself up. I ended up falling numerous times and finally had to crawl out of the woods.

It was the best workout I have had in a loooong time (and my bodymedia armband said I burned 1000 calories during it:).

Now I really want to do an adventure race like a tough mudder. Today was soooo much fun!

I don't bring my phone on my workouts usually so here is me striking a pose right after I got home.

No comments:

Post a Comment